The RICS Flooding Working Group has published a new consumer guide to flooding for property owners.
Flooding can seriously affect the value and amenity of our homes or business premises and unfortunately, it is inevitable that the number of floods will increase in the future due to the changes in weather patterns, the amount of new building on low-lying areas in recent years and other local factors.
This guide provides useful information and practical advice on how to prepare for and deal with a flood, supplying answers to frequently asked questions such as:
- What is the risk to property from flooding?
- How will the flood risk affect the value and insurability of my property?
- What should I do if my property is flooded?
- Why does it take so long to reinstate a property after a flood?
- Useful links – who can I go to for help in dealing with flood risk and reinstatement?
For more information you can contact The Environment Agency, The National Flood Forum and the Association of British Insurers.
For specific advice on flood prevention or flood damage to your building please contact our building surveying department on 01234 362901.